Thursday, July 30, 2009

good measure, pressed down, and shaken together


"Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”
Luke 6:36-38


Some people are definitely toxic, and require distance or other boundaries to preserve your own sanity. And putting your sanity first is key to being able to be merciful and forgiving and giving, but I've never gone wrong when I've insisted on treating people well because of who I am, not because of how they're treating me or how I want to be treated. Just a slightly different twist on the Golden Rule. Maybe I feel like I have more direct influence on how I'm remembered than how I'm treated, so it's a better use of energy to focus on the former? I've seen this principle resolve or even improve enough negative situations to be a firm believer in it. It's also not just about how you're remembered; it's about the ripple effect you want to have. Cruelty and sarcasm can only breed more of the same, and it's not really fair or beneficial when Kevin Bacon's cousin ends up the unwitting victim of your judgement or stinginess. You might actually restore someone's faith in humanity, and inspire them to do the same for others =)

I know it's tough to be generous when you're hurting, but these verses offer an amazing reward for turning our own knee-jerk critical and demeaning reactions around. With the exception of toxic/abusive relationships, it sounds like the hardest part is believing that being the first, and sometimes only partner to be merciful and understanding and affirming and giving can be in YOUR best interest. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over best interest.

A big pile of goodness, pressed down to make room for even more well-mixed goodness, with an extra bottle of goodness poured on top and spilling over... can I get double shot of that? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment