Thursday, June 18, 2009

all the days of her life


I was just emailing a wonderful virtuous woman about my thoughts on proverbs 31 and I thought I'd share with everyone else =)

I was looking particularly at the "She will do him good and not evil all the days of HER life" verse. The HER stuck out to me, and I wondered why the psalmist didn't choose to put the word HIS there, I mean once he's dead and gone she doesn't have a husband to do good or evil to anymore right? But I think maybe we can surmise some good principles from that choice -

1) Her doing him good doesn't have a whole lot to do with what's going on with him. Her responsibility and character doesn't change whether he's having a great or miserable day, or being as loving and wonderful as he could or not. DISCLAIMER: there is NEVER a good reason to submit yourself to physical or emotional abuse, trust that as a child of God He cares too much about your welfare to force you to stay under such conditions. aside from those unfortunate situations, it's about who SHE is and wants to be, not him.

2) Even once he's passed on, she can still do him good or evil. She can still love and care for his (their) children and family, honor him and the good qualities he had to those around her (and still keep quiet about his faults), and be responsible with any possessions or business dealings etc. he left behind.

3) She will do him good ALL the days of HER life - so regardless of what's going on in her life, she will try do him good. That includes PMS days haha, tired of dealing with the kids days, and crazy mother-in-law days. Just some thoughts. Of course we're human and we fall short sometimes, but it's an admirable goal to live up to I think =)

No comments:

Post a Comment