Thursday, June 18, 2009

girls gone mild


an excerpt from
Girls Gone Mild
Young Women Reclaim Self-Respect and Find It's Not Bad to Be Good
by Wendy Shalit

there is so much more to this book, i highly recommend reading at least chapter 1 here - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/girlsgonemild.htm

For example, my neice, when she was three, she said, "Oh, Rashida, I love you, I love you, I love you, can I have a cookie?" And I said, "You can't have a cookie; it's eight AM!" So she said, "OK, then I don't love you no more! I want my mama and I want to go home!" I was like, "Wow, and she's only three." That's the kind of love people refer to, mostly, when they talk about love today.

Real love, she explains, was the love between her mother and father. When her mother would sigh and observe that there was no Ben & Jerry's ice cream in the freezer, "I would have just told her to dream about it, frankly, but my father, he would go out in the middle of the night to the 7-Eleven, and get her that Ben and Jerry's." Her father showed her that real love is about service to others, not manipulating another person to get what you want.



SUCH good stuff =)

No comments:

Post a Comment