Sunday, June 21, 2009

unfailing love


I've been mulling over one of the quotes from Max Lucado's "Just Like Jesus" some more -

"Don't confuse God's love with the love of people. The love of people often increases with performance, and decreases with mistakes. Not so with God's love."

Like Rashida and her niece in Wendy Shalit's Girls Gone Mild, I've had a favorite 5 year old tell me I was her best friend, only to revoke that honor as soon as I didn't let them have their way haha.

We only find words like "Fine, I don't love you anymore" remotely cute and funny when they come from such childish lips and hearts, but as adults we are so often guilty of pulling the same thing when we don't get the response we we're hoping for, in the time we were expecting to.

But sometimes loved ones really do act in ways that deeply hurt, disappoint, and anger us and there is nothing fair or redeemable about it. Our "love banks" can be completely drained in an instant, and it can feel impossible to shell out what we don't have to give. I wish I had words and advice that would serve as more than just bandaids to comfort and heal their hurt. But as I struggled with discouragement this morning I was humbled and thankful to be reminded that we have a Healer, that His power to restore hearts is infinitely greater than mine. "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds..."

And it is incredible to think - even when we fall short, disappoint, make messes, hurt others - HIS LOVE FOR US DOES NOT DECREASE. Would anyone question His right to love us less? We wouldn't fault any mistreated friend for feeling unloving, even while we encourage them where we can. We hear so much about His unending love and mercy, but I saw it from a renewed perspective this weekend...

My thoughts and prayers are with any of you struggling with hurt and disappointment tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment