Thursday, June 18, 2009

date your mate



from "Date Your Mate" by doug fields

I can think of 10 reasons for not getting out of bed in the morning, and another five for not filling up my car. I can make all the excuses I want to, but eventually the pressures of reality will force me into action. The urgency of life tells me I’d better get out of bed and get fuel in my car. Otherwise I’ll never make it to work, I’ll get myself fired, and I’ll end up without enough money for survival! I’m forced to do what I should, regardless of my excuses. That’s reality.

But as far as my marriage is concerned, the consequences of my excuses aren’t nearly as tangible or immediate. If I don’t take my wife out on Friday night, so what? Life will go on. I’ll still be employed. I’ll still be able to afford fuel. I’m not forced to make any special effort toward our relationship because there appears to be no urgency. I can continue not making deposits for a long time before my marriage account dries up. But you don’t need to be a rocket-scientist to figure out that this sort of attitude lies behind the rapid deterioration of marriages.

50 Creative Dating Ideas (as in, act like you're dating!)
  1. Sketch your dream-house floor plan and talk about the possibilities for each room.

  2. Write the story of how you met. Get it printed and bound.

  3. List your spouse's best qualities in alphabetical order.

  4. Tour a museum or art gallery.

  5. Notice the little changes your spouse makes in his/her appearance.

  6. Float on a raft together.

  7. Take a stroll around the block -- and hold hands as you walk.

  8. Stock the cupboards with food your spouse loves to eat. (But only if he or she isn't on a diet.)

  9. Give your spouse a back rub.

  10. Rent a classic love story video and watch it while cuddling.

  11. Build a fire in the fireplace, turn out the lights and talk.

  12. Take a horse-drawn carriage ride.

  13. Go swimming in the middle of the night.

  14. Write a poem for your spouse.

  15. Remember to look into your spouse's eyes as he/she tells you about the day.

  16. Tell your spouse, "I'm glad I married you!"

  17. Hug your spouse from behind and give him/her a kiss on the back of the neck.

  18. Stop in the middle of your busy day and talk to your spouse for 15 minutes.

  19. Create your own special holiday.

  20. Do something your spouse loves to do, even though it doesn't interest you.

  21. Send your spouse a love letter.

  22. Build a snowman together.

  23. Watch the sunset together.

  24. Sit on the same side or a restaurant booth.

  25. Picnic by a pond.

  26. Give your mate a foot massage.

  27. Put together a puzzle on a rainy evening.

  28. Take a moonlight canoe ride.

  29. Tell your spouse, "I'd rather be here with you than any place in the world."

  30. Whisper something romantic to your spouse in a crowded room.

  31. Have a candlelight picnic in the backyard.

  32. Perfume the bed sheets.

  33. Serve breakfast in bed.

  34. Reminisce through old photo albums.

  35. Go away for the weekend.

  36. Share a milkshake with two straws.

  37. Kiss in the rain.

  38. Brush his/her hair.

  39. Ride the merry-go-round together.

  40. Dedicate a song to her/him over the radio.

  41. Wink and smile at your spouse from across the room.

  42. Have a hot bubble bath ready for him/her at the end of the day.

  43. Buy new satin sheets.

  44. Tenderly touch your spouse as you pass one another around the house.

  45. Reminisce about your first date.

  46. Plant a tree together in honor of your marriage.

  47. Go kite flying.

  48. Attend a sporting event you've never been to together.

  49. Take time to think about him/her during the day, then share those thoughts.

  50. Drop everything and do something for the one you love -- right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment